Energizer Bunny

11

Written on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 by Jessica

Note to my male readership (i.e., Alex): You might want to skip right past this entry and just pretend it doesn't exist.

Okay, I have question for everyone. Just how long does a period have to last before I should become worried? Because this one's been going for 26 days. (Cue the Energizer Bunny bass drum.)

The weirdness is probably related to the fact that this is my first period since the baby. In fact, I hadn't had one for five months before the baby, so that means that, until now, I've been period-free for 27 months.

Maybe my body has forgotten how to menstruate efficiently. :)

Has anyone ever heard of never-ending periods? All my web searches seem to return results for long cycles, not long periods.

UPDATE: My OB would like me to come in for an ultrasound to "check [my] uterine lining." That'll be at 3:00 today. I'll let you know how it goes. Twenty-eight days and counting...

UPDATE 2: The vaginal ultrasound was predictably uncomfortable. The uterine lining was thick, so the doc wanted to do a biopsy. That totally freaked me out. I had a friend years ago who had a biopsy and she said it hurt like a mother. So there I am, two seconds from a meltdown, thinking it's going hurt like hell, when... nothing. I wasn't any less comfortable than a standard pap. Nothing to it.

The biopsy is to check for cancer (yikes!) but he really sounded like he just wanted to rule it out. I guess I don't really have a lot of warning signs, so at this point, I'm not too scared. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, he also gave me a script for 10 days of progesterone to stop the bleeding, but he says I'll start up again as soon as it's done and hopefully have a normal period. He referred to it as a chemical D&C.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

11 Comments

  1. Unknown |

    I would call my doc if I were you. I had one that went on for 5 weeks once and it kept getting worse (read heavier) until - ok I know this is gross but, it would run down my legs if I stood up. My doc had me take a full month's does in a week's time - that made me sicker than a dog! Still didn't help and I had to have a D&C to stop it. I'd get it checked out.

     
  2. Jessica |

    Full month's dose of what?? The pill? I'm not back on the pill yet!

     
  3. Jessica |

    You've convinced me. I'm going to call the OB.

     
  4. Christina |

    I agree with lisa, 26 days is a lot. Hope yoru appt goes well!

     
  5. Sherri Sanders |

    good luck!

     
  6. Joanne |

    Good luck today!

     
  7. Jessica |

    Thx, everyone. I added another update. Just waiting for test results.

     
  8. Unknown |

    I'm so glad you went to the doctor. Yes it was the pill I had to take a month's dose of in a week's time. Basically what you're doing now. Fingers crossed for you. :) Good results XX - that's crossed fingers.

     
  9. Anonymous |

    Hey Jessica, I just read this. I was on Depo Provera for 6 months and I bled continously for 3 of those months.

    One time when I was at a restaurant I got up to leave, blood just gushed down my trousers...it was embarassing. I stopped taking the Depo shot.

    Now at 35, I get a heavy period for two days, then its gone...I might spot a little, but its been reduced to 2 days per month, weird

    It could be hormones and that you are getting older, plus stress.

    I am glad you went to the doctor though. Good luck with the test results...its probably going to be one of those common female issues

     
  10. Valerie |

    I certainly hope it has stopped by now! (((HUGS)))

     
  11. Jessica |

    BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. Still going...

     

Post a Comment