Fifteen minutes of cyberfame

5

Written on Saturday, July 07, 2007 by Jessica

You may have noticed all the hubbub surrounding my post related to CNN's article about Hindu widows. For awhile, I as baffled as to how all these people found me. When I looked into it, I discovered Sphere.

Basically, if you scrolled down to the bottom of the CNN article, there was a section that said, "From the Blogs: Controversy, commentary, and debate." If you clicked on it, you found me. Sphere dynamically generates links to blogs related to the article.

I'm not there any more, but here's a screen shot of Sphere's link to that fateful post. (Scroll down to Blogs talking about this topic.)

All the discussion seemed out of place on a blog normally devoted to fluff, but there you have it. It's over now, unless someone else has decided to link to my post.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

5 Comments

  1. A little of this and that.... |

    Doooooood! Whoa! Nicely done, however you got noticed. First of all, the insert was brilliantly writen. Second, the comments were incredible!

    *I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!*

     
  2. Jessica |

    Thanks. It's was actually a stressful event for me. I dislike conflict, and cyberdebates are rarely civil affairs. Fortunately, most commenters tried to focus on the article rather than attacking me personally, although one commenter actually disparaged my readership.

     
  3. Joanne |

    Once again, I need to learn to read. "Controversy over Hindu wiNdows?" Scroll down, scroll down, "Ohhhhhhhh." Duh. Amazes me too.

     
  4. Christina |

    You are a star!

    I did ead that article in CNN the other day and it is heartbreaking that a family would desert their mother.

    I try to keep an open mind about different cultures but this one was hard to fathom

     
  5. Jessica |

    According to most of the commenters, the article was not an accurate representation of Indian cultural attitudes toward widows. Most said it was a very small segment of the whole and that the article grossly inflated the numbers. Perhaps it's true. For example, someone could write an article about how Mormon men take multiple wives and abuse young girls. This is true, but only for a very small segment of Mormons. In any case, the fact that either circumstance happens at all is cause for alarm.

     

Post a Comment