Raining bugs

5

Written on Sunday, July 01, 2007 by Jessica

Last night, I was working on my computer when an earwig materialized on my keyboard. It fell from the ceiling. Do I really need to point out how close it came to falling into my hair? (Yes, I feel the need to point it out.)

When I think of what would've happened next... Earwigs instinctively burrow. Ugh. It gives me the heebie-jeebies to imagine trying to get one of those things out of my hair.

I've been killing a lot of earwigs lately. One was in my purse a couple of weeks ago. But I digress.

So there was the earwig perched on my keyboard, which was actually a good thing. Better on the keyboard than in my hair. I couldn't kill it before it crawled down among the keys and out of reach. I'm half expecting it to crawl out while I'm typing. Heck, there's enough food down in there for it to survive until this fall when it's time to hibernate. Then it can lay eggs and I can look forward to baby earwigs boiling out of the keyboard next spring.

Maybe I'll buy a new keyboard.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

5 Comments

  1. A little of this and that.... |

    Ewwwwww! I hate random bugs dropping from the ceiling. When that happens to me, I can't sit in that spot for a week, in fear of them coming back. Especially spiders, swinging down from their webs...Bleh!

     
  2. Jessica |

    Last fall, when a cricket ran across the couch, I moved in with my in-laws until my husband came back from his out-of-town job.

     
  3. Joanne |

    Every time you mention them, I always have to look them up. *shiver* I think I would die if I saw one. I did however read this interesting info at wiki:

    "While earwigs can be considered in some ways a beneficial part of the garden, they can become a nuisance because of their diet. Since they prefer cool, moist places, a rolled up damp newspaper placed where earwig activity is suspected can be effective in collecting them. The newspaper can then either be discarded or shaken out. Placing diatomaceous earth in key spots around the home (bathroom, baseboards, window frames) can be a long-term repellent.

    Another method of removing earwigs is by utilizing their attraction to vegetable oil. Putting vegetable oil in a pie tin and burying it up to the rim of the tin is an effective way of capturing them."

     
  4. Teriana |

    I can't believe you even found the courage to type this post what with the earwig scurrying around between your keys.

     
  5. Sherri Sanders |

    this is just sooooooooo wrong!! Ugh!!! I'll be having nightmares about earwigs now.

     

Post a Comment